What to Eat and What to Drink Before Singing

I often get asked questions like, “What can I drink to help me sing better?” “Does tea with honey help the voice?” “Does drinking olive oil and water make you sing better?” “Should I avoid dairy products before singing?” etc. Since the topic of what to eat and drink before singing is on the minds of many singers, let me give you my perspective now.

First, let’s talk about the ideas of lemon, honey, teas, throat sprays etc. While all of these things can help the throat feel good, the only way that any of them will actually come into contact with your vocal folds is if you breathe them, and this is not something I would recommend. The only thing that you can breathe that is beneficial is steam. I recommend that each of my students purchase a steamer. You can find steamers at your local drug store for about $35. A popular steamer is the Vick’s Personal Steamer. This is not the same as a vaporizer which puts moisture into the air of a room.

A steamer actually has a little mask that goes over the nose and mouth. Water is put into the basin beneath the mask, the unit is plugged into the wall and powered on. A heating element then heats the water to just below boiling. The steam rises from the heated water through the mask and is breathed into the lungs. The steam passes over the vocal folds on its way into the lungs and has a very hydrating and healing effect on them. Steaming is much preferred over gargling. I find gargling to be somewhat irritating and don’t recommend it.

As far as food is concerned, it is important to avoid singing on a completely empty stomach. Singing can be athletic, and you want to have plenty of energy for your performance. However, it is also important to avoid singing on a completely full stomach. When the stomach is too full, it is difficult to take the low breaths necessary for healthy singing. Also, singing tends to cause burping when it is done too soon after eating, and burping is an activity that is usually frowned upon by many audience members during a vocal performance.

A rule of thumb is to eat a healthy “singers meal” about 2 hours prior to a performance. A singer’s meal would be balanced in 1) lean meat, chicken, fresh fish, eggs, or a high quality vegetable protein such as tempeh or tofu; 2) a complex starchy carbohydrate such as whole grain bread, brown rice or potato (not much butter, and no sour cream); and 3) plenty of fresh vegetables and/or fruits (citrus fruits however seem to cause mucous or dryness in some singers). Make sure to never stuff yourself, especially before a performance.

Some foods and beverages to avoid prior to singing are mucous producing foods such as dairy, stimulants such as caffeine and spicy foods, soft drinks, refined sugars, chocolate, iced drinks and alcohol (including wine and beer). Be aware also of any foods which you may be sensitive to or allergic to prior to singing (for example, some singers have trouble with citrus fruits, wheat, nuts, shellfish or soy).

It’s also important to keep the body well hydrated with water the day of a performance, but please remember to lay off on the water intake several hours before you go on, since there probably won’t be too many bathroom breaks. Some performers will chew a bit of sugar free gum or suck on a sugar free hard candy prior to going onstage to keep the saliva flowing in lieu of drinking water.

I hope that answered some of your questions. Please keep emailing me with more!

Voice Lessons

This blog is not owned or operated by Speech-Level-Singing International, it is owned and operated privately by Guy Babusek. The views expressed herein are strictly his own.

73 Responses to What to Eat and What to Drink Before Singing

1. avinash kumar June 25, 2015 at 4:46 am #

Singing is my life

• Angel December 14, 2015 at 12:19 am #

Me too but my high note is off key the only time i only sing if im singing with somebody or a music like hello by adele

2. Matvey July 20, 2015 at 12:59 am #

Thank you for this article!
    Now imagine I’ll definitely buy a steamer.
    But I have a question – Whether there are some special drinks for the vocalists to use during the singing? Maybe there are some major manufacturers / brands?

• Guy Babusek July 21, 2015 at 1:41 am #

Water is probably your best bet. But remember when you drink ANYTHING, it bypasses your vocal folds. The only way to get anything on your folds is to breathe it. That’s why breathing steam is a good idea.

• Mike August 14, 2016 at 5:27 pm #

I am a street performer. I don’t perform every day but when I do, it is usually 3+ hours at a time. The last few times I’ve been out though, u come home feeling incredibly bloated and have these horrible foul smelling burps that keep me awakeball night feeling like I’m trying to get the air out of my system. I’ve done the same thing for years without this effect but I’m wondering if something is causing me to swallow a lot of air during singing?

3. sakora scheidegg July 23, 2015 at 3:06 pm #

i love to sing alot and every day

4. Millicent Jones September 9, 2015 at 6:54 pm #

Thank you for this Mr. Babusek. I especially appreciate the clarification about “citrus” fruits. Years ago, I used to perform at weddings and anniversary parties quite often and the lovely woman that used to assist me (though not a voice coach), would always have me to suck on lemons. The belief was that lemons would help in some way. Well, after reading this article, I was brought to the realization that we were all wrong those many moons ago. Do you also offer tips for how one could strengthen their voice? I have more difficulty pulling some notes out than I used to. I’m a lot older now and I haven’t consistently “used” my singing ability but I know that it’s not entirely gone. How would a woman in her mid 40’s reawaken her voice?

• Guy Babusek September 9, 2015 at 7:02 pm #

Hi Millicent! The best thing you can do to strengthen your voice is find a good voice teacher who is well trained in vocal technique and train with them.

Thank so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment!
      Guy

5. Andy November 5, 2015 at 3:38 pm #

Hi when I sing I constantly feel the need to burp, its like I have really bad GERD or something. I dont know if Im perhaps singing the wrong way and putting too much pressure on my adomen and that is what forces it up – have you ever heard of this happening before?

Funny thing is when I sing lying down on my back on the floor it doesn’t happen so i think its a support issue.

Any thoughts plz?

• Guy Babusek November 5, 2015 at 6:23 pm #

Hi Andy!

I like to wait an hour or so after I have eaten to sing, especially if I am performing. GERD and reflux can really wreak havoc on the vocal folds. It’s always a good idea to see your doctor and find out if that’s a problem. It’s usually fairly easy to treat!

Thank you so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment!!

• sy November 12, 2015 at 10:00 pm #

Well I’m in to singing gospel music and I’m trying to be singing it and I really need help with that

• Guy Babusek November 25, 2015 at 1:11 am #

Are you working with a teacher or coach?

• kushal April 16, 2016 at 10:22 am #

Sir I’ve did not took study from the teacher but I love to sing cause my life is singing

6. grace November 7, 2015 at 3:13 pm #

Hi! I have an audition coming up, and I really want to do well. Any recommendations for having a strong powerful voice?

• Guy Babusek November 7, 2015 at 3:26 pm #

Hi Grace!

Make sure you work on your song and your technique with your voice teacher during the time leading up to your audition, so that you are prepared vocally. The day of the audition I would do a thorough but gentle warm up several hours before your audition (if you have a good voice teacher they will give you the exercises that are best for your own particular voice), and then rest your voice. Do a couple gentle warm ups right before your audition.

7. Joan November 20, 2015 at 2:09 am #

Thanks so much for the amazing information. I will back off vinegar some. Taught school for 42 yrs…talked all day. Still could sing relatively well when younger. Think I am experiencing results now. Dr. Says no nodules, still plumped up cords, but mucus dried to v cords over years. Very hard to correct. Any suggestions?

• Guy Babusek November 25, 2015 at 1:08 am #

Hi Joan! Have you had your cords scoped? Have you been tested for acid reflux? Guy

8. Bea January 1, 2016 at 5:47 pm #

Hi… umm thanks for the tips…. although i am not fond of singing i want to become an idol someday with strong vocals and a smooth honey like voice….. but ……. the problem is my voice is hoarse..like i mean naturally hoarse. Like even when i talk it’s hoarse. Do i still have a chance to have strong vocals? Im still young and i have a lot of time to, improve so can i ask tips on how to improve my voice?

• Guy Babusek January 1, 2016 at 6:46 pm #

Bea, you need to find a well-trained voice teacher to work with.

• Debria September 3, 2016 at 4:13 am #

I try to sing high notes like Ariana Grande but I can’t I need something besides steam to help me

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:05 pm #

Find a good teacher

• Georgia February 20, 2017 at 12:40 am #

my little trick I use is that I sing vertical no horizontal. For example.

This is how you are supposed to sing lllllll. Vertical

Not supposed to sing _____. Horizontal

9. Curly January 4, 2016 at 10:44 pm #

Good day, Mr. Guy and thank you for this great article.

I would like to ask why my voice gets hoarse so easily please?

Curly.

• Guy Babusek February 20, 2016 at 4:19 pm #

Hi, I have no way of knowing why you are getting hoarse, but you should have an ENT (throat doctor) take a look and see what is going on.

10. Michelle February 2, 2016 at 2:44 am #

I have a solo coming up at my church’s youth Sunday event and I was wondering if u have any tips for warming up your voice in the morning since the first service is at 8:30 am.

• Guy Babusek February 20, 2016 at 4:19 pm #

Always warm up gently in the morning. Find a good voice teacher to help you!

11. Shantell cruz February 9, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

Hey, My name is Shantell I’m 18 years old & it’d my dream to sing ! But my question is if you feel like your voice is scratchy or feel like you can’t sing at all but would like to fix that what is something I can do or use to fix the situation? & also I do not have a vocal coach because I can’t afford it but i try & practice on my own any thoughts on what can I do or use to fix this situation 😞

• Guy Babusek February 20, 2016 at 4:18 pm #

You may want to have a doctor take a look. When I started taking lessons I was 17, and on my own completely financially. I could barely afford rent. I found a way to make it happen. I would try to get some training, if you are really serious about singing.

12. Shantell cruz February 9, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

, & what does it mean when you keep yawning during your singing ?

• Amy October 27, 2016 at 1:56 am #

I might be wrong, but I suspect it’s because your throat is relaxed. If I’m not mistaken, it’s a good thing.

13. Christine February 14, 2016 at 12:41 am #

Hi my dream is to be a singer one day I’m going to audition for xfactor this year I need some advice tho everytime I try to hit a high note and my my voice stronger my voice goes really like squeaky or something like its awful because I don’t know how to make my voice stronger any advice

• Grace April 4, 2017 at 5:44 am #

I know it’s really late but if you still need the advice try lifting your soft pallad and singing from your stomach. Bubbling is a very good way to sing those high notes.

14. pearl February 15, 2016 at 7:58 am #

Hi anytime I sing I just cnt help my breathing… which means I cnt breath.. nd if i was gon breath it would be very deep..dz makes me sad I dunno if ther is anytin I culd do or maybe ther is anytin i culd eat or drink to make me breath at d middle of the song while singing

• Guy Babusek February 20, 2016 at 4:17 pm #

I would find a well trained vocal teacher to help you out.

15. Cheryl February 18, 2016 at 8:42 am #

Does slow, careful swallowing of Manuka honey have any positive effect?

• Guy Babusek February 20, 2016 at 4:17 pm #

The act of swallowing makes sure that whatever you are swallowing goes down the windpipe, and not over your vocal cords. They only way to get something on your cords is to breathe it. I recommend breathing steam, with NOTHING added to it..

16. JJ February 20, 2016 at 4:10 pm #

hey, well i sing a lot but recently there has been something stuck in my throat making my singing sound pretty awefull… and the thing is that i have a performance in an hour so im wondering whether there is anything to drink.

• Guy Babusek February 20, 2016 at 4:15 pm #

If you feel you have something stuck in your throat, you need to have an ENT (throat doctor) take a look at it.

17. arewa March 12, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

wooow av rily gten sum kul tip here mr guy tnk un so much n God bless U.

18. gallion March 31, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

Hi I’m recording on saturday, which drinks should I take to reach high notes and smoothed my voice???

A kind help…..

19. immad April 10, 2016 at 3:21 am #

Hi sir..! Read ua article really good to know things from u.. BT wanna tell u tat my voice is a bit dry and I want to make it feel and heard fresh
    ..! Please do suggest me something..?

20. Christopher May 14, 2016 at 12:24 pm #

Guy, I know this is not a physics website, but “steam” is water that is hotter than boiling and has turned into gas. Don’t inhale that. Hurt bad! What we call “vapor” is water suspended in air at much lower temperatures, and that’s good, it won’t cause severe burns requiring hospitalization. :-) Anyway, thank for the good advice about the vaporizer!

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

Actually, warm steam has been used successfully for many years by singers. Obviously you don’t want to have a jet full of hot steam shooting into your vocal folds but gently breathing in the steam from a steamer made specifically for that purpose is actually quite healthy And safe. I have been using a steamer almost daily for the past 40 years and my voice is stronger than ever. Anytime I have tried using cool water vapor it has had very undesirable results. Cold vapor on the vocal folds has never done the trick for me whatsoever.

21. Patricia May 29, 2016 at 1:42 pm #

I have Acid Reflux. I am much older than the ones I have read. ENT has prescribed Omeprazole and Esomeprazole in the past. I have taken one or the other off and on for years. They tell me to stop the coffee. I drink about 2 cups each morning. I have all the symptoms that you mentioned. I will get a steamer. But, my other problem is my breathing. I am in Jackson, MS. Do you know a voice coach I could contact?

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:13 pm #

Hi! Unfortunately I don’t know anyone in your area. However, there are plenty of us who teach online via Skype. That might be a good option for you if you can’t find someone locally.

22. Wambui May 29, 2016 at 3:00 pm #

Hi. What’s your opinion on salt or amount of salt in foods for a singer and what’s the effect of salt on vocal cords? Thanks.

23. Ruby M June 2, 2016 at 7:59 am #

i have a group performance tomorrow and i am a lead singer. any great tips to help me get more volume? without sounding weak or parched?? Also whats the best way to get my timing right? thanks!… great article…

24. Grace A June 3, 2016 at 3:07 am #

This article is immensely helpful!!! Opening night is tomorrow and I play the lead… I have many many songs and have been chugging Olive Oil backstage any chance I get.. Will be sure to use the information tomorrow to help ma voix! Merci beacoup!

25. Arriana June 12, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

Why sometimes when i sing i yawn?

26. Dorcy July 19, 2016 at 1:05 pm #

I always loose my voice after singing and it take like 2 days for it to come back,its really worrying me,please what can I do to prevent or avoid loosing my voice even after a rehersal

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

You were obviously singing incorrectly. You must find a voice teacher that knows what they are doinG.

27. Tim July 31, 2016 at 7:54 pm #

My question is how do you push from your diaphragm
    Iv actually had no voice training but I sing country I have an bass alto voice my strong point is bass , I’m working on a single this week for recording.

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

You must never never push from your diaphragm. Support is something that must be learned. Find a good voice teacher! There is no substitute.

28. Taylor August 2, 2016 at 3:59 pm #

I have a question.

What if you can’t afford the steamer what do you sub. for the steamer?

Also I have a solo coming up but the part is very high and I don’t think my voice will be ready in time what do I do?

29. Mohammed Muneer K August 17, 2016 at 9:30 am #

A lot of thanks ….
    My name is Mohammed Muneeer..i am from India..
    I am 21 years old & it’d my dream to be a reciter of Qur’an…many of my teachers told me that you have a good voice..but I fell in my voice something scratch in my voice..

30. Chesuga September 2, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

Thank you sir for your information I really like it…and all this comments I have a lot to learn….

31. elisheba September 19, 2016 at 2:06 pm #

Hello Guy.
    thank you for the advise but my voice is hoarse due to allergies from fragrances how do i get rid of this.

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:06 pm #

Go to an allergy doctor.

32. Jennie October 17, 2016 at 4:55 pm #

Must avoid yogurt, green tea,ginger,citrus fruits totally ah ..or just before the day of performance??

Does Goggling with salt water early in morning help vocal chords improvement?? Pls rpy

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

Gargling with salt water is fine but make sure that the water is not overly salted. Just very mild

33. Jennie October 17, 2016 at 4:57 pm #

Sometimes I feel I m singing through my nose and I can’t have a breathing control I can’t go deep and high notes ..can u suggest me some ways to get ride of these problems…pls

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:09 pm #

You must train with a qualified vocal instructor. That’s the only way to get your voice in shape.

34. Amy October 27, 2016 at 1:58 am #

Thank you so much for this post! It was really helpful! I didn’t know that when I drink, it bypasses the vocal chords, and I used to be very frustrated, but this blog had helped a lot!
    – Amy

35. Nurr October 31, 2016 at 2:33 pm #

Right now my voice is kinda gone and i need something quick to make it better a bit

36. sandiswa mdudu November 3, 2016 at 8:34 am #

what do you think about echinaforce echinacea drops

37. Cindy November 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm #

Should she use the steamer right before her performance?

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

No. I would not steam right before a performance. Steam earlier in the day and if you’re going to vocalize after steaming do it gently.

38. iambaron November 16, 2016 at 9:18 pm #

hello Mr guy a big shout to you!! please I really need your help indeed am the that just email some minute ago Baron by name from Nigeria. please there is this problem am having each time I went for a recording in the studio I like having a wrong key vocals in the process of recording I will feel so tire and my producer will be complaining that my vocals is not lout. so please I want to know how to overcome this problem, and types of foods and drinks I need to be taking as a vocalist, and before going to a studio and I need to take?

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

You need to work with a professional vocal coach who understands how to find the appropriate keys for your songs. You cannot substitute anything for proper vocal training.

39. Julian November 29, 2016 at 2:38 am #

Hey I’m playing songs with vocal parts on my guitar and I’m wondering if orange soda is a good method to improving my overall capabilities. I’ve been drinking orange soda right before I practice for a while now and I’ve found it helps more than if I didn’t drink it. Is this a good method or are there other similar good alternatives?

40. Adamben November 29, 2016 at 9:17 pm #

I’m Adam Ben by name I’m a gospel singer sir, the problem I’m having is my voice always hoarse within some minutes, I don’t have strength while singing. I have tried to eat or drink all sorts of things that will be directed from fake teachers and coaches but it getting worse… Please what will I do to know my voice type and range???

• Guy Babusek February 11, 2017 at 5:07 pm #

You need to train with the teacher that knows what they are doing. There is no substitute for training with a professional teacher.

41. vinay rana March 11, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

Hii i want a good singer but my voice is lease downly i belong to poor family so please suggest me preparing to sing what i take meat or not sir i really say i love singing my sound was good but when my age 16 then now day my voice not awesome so pleplese suggests me
    I will wet your giadence.
    Thanks